Re: [exim] Shared Spool using NFS

Author: Luca Bertoncello
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Shared Spool using NFS
Xirtam <xirtam1985@???> schrieb:

> I'm a new fan of exim and I handle a setup with a few mail servers running
> Exim 4.52.

Welcome! =:)

> But: If one machine failed, all users sending mails to that box would get a
> connection failed error. Therefore I want to build a mail cluster (LVS)
> where all boxes have shared maildirs and a shared queue. My question: Are
> there technical problems when more than one Exim instance is using the same
> spool directory? Are there workarounds or *if* there are problems could
> they be solved without losing the idea of a redundant mail system with a
> central storage unit?

We use a Cluster with more than one Exim (actually: 4 Mailins as frontend with
the real world and 4 Mails that save the E-Mail on an NFS Share) and we have
no problem!
We just buyed an NFS System (from NetApp!) to save the E-Mail, with a failover
warranty (it's a double System with many Disks in RAID5).
But you can use normal Server (I suggest FreeBSD! Linux is too slow for this
job!!) with a normal disk and NFS export!

Bye
--
Luca Bertoncello

IMS Internet-Media-Service GmbH