Re: [exim] (OT) Responsibility of ISPs to provide reliable o…

Author: Lionel Elie Mamane
To: Adam Funk
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] (OT) Responsibility of ISPs to provide reliable outgoing SMTP to dynamic IP customers.
On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 12:17:41PM +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

> Since many of you believe that residential customers should be
> forced to route all their mail through their ISPs' smarthosts,

(I, for one, think that's preposterous. But many *do* think so, yeah.)

> I think it follows that ISPs have a duty to provide reliable
> outgoing SMTP to their customers.

> My ISP however claims that "The e-mail is a free service provided by
> us and therefore no compensation can be offered for downtime of this
> service."

If you are stuck with them for connectivity, you might consider taking
an external mail service. Increasingly many people do that for Usenet,
email, etc. And AFAIK the costs for an external mail service are
around 10,- EUR per year. (That's what I was paying before I set up my
own servers.)

> I believe this violates the (UK) Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and
> am planning to make a formal complaint to Ofcom about it,

Thank you for this public benefit action.

--
Lionel