Re: [exim] (OT) Responsibility of ISPs to provide reliable o…

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] (OT) Responsibility of ISPs to provide reliable outgoing SMTP to dynamic IP customers.

--On Friday, September 2, 2005 12:17 +0100 Adam Funk
<adam00f@???> wrote:

> Since many of you believe that residential customers should be forced to
> route all their mail through their ISPs' smarthosts, I think it follows
> that ISPs have a duty to provide reliable outgoing SMTP to their
> customers.

Well, hold on a minute. Is that true? Certainly lots of us subscribe to
lists of dial-up and ADSL hosts, and don't accept mail from them. That's
because - according to some reports - some huge proportion of them (25%?)
are spambots.

However, it probably isn't true that anyone is insisting that anyone uses
their ISP's smarthost. For example, here at the University of Sussex, we
provide a smarthost for all of our students and staff. Now, some ISPs won't
let people connect to our smarthost on port 25 - so we provide MSA on port
587. See <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2476.html>. So all our users have at
least two options.

Finally, they can also go elsewhere to find smarthost services. For
example, they could buy a hosted server, or virtual server, or virtual
domain.

So you do have several choices. I don't know whether you were going to rely
in whole or in part on the argument that you had no choice - but you can't
really make that argument. If your ISP starts to intercept or block traffic
on port 587, then you would have a good argument.

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team