Re: [exim] Anti Phishing Trick

Author: Steve Lamb
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Anti Phishing Trick
Tony Finch wrote:
> Yes, you still don't understand.

    No, Tony, you don't understand.  I understand just fine.

> You should read the documentation for the
> redirect router, and consider the purpose of .forward files.

    Then you should consider stop and consider why it is called the "redirect"
router and not the "forward" router.  I am talking terminology not confined to
the realm of mail servers.  Yes, I get we're talking about mail which hits the
server and then is, I dunno, REDIRECTED to another address elsewhere.  However
that mail is eventually read by, hmmm, A CLIENT.  That means the terminology
of calling it a forward is misleading.  Forwarding doesn't break.
Bouncing/redirecting (damn if that term doesn't keep showing up!) does.

    Now here's where you need to catch up.  Bouncing/redirecting, either at
the server level (which is what you're talking about and I fully understand in
spite if your inability to grasp it) or at a client level...  and read this
part carefully Tony as it's the part you are failing to grasp...  is an
antiquated notion that could probably be done away with due to the realities
of modern clients which are fully capable of pulling from multiple sources
and... and (here's the amazing part) keeping those sources separate!  Imagine
that, Tony, being able to keep incoming work mail and incoming home mail
separate.  Even better, keeping the outbound mail completely separate.  In
fact, with the advent of an "IMAP server", you heard of 'em right, one can
access your different mail accounts not only with a single client but with
multiple clients.  That makes it adventagious not to merge different mail
streams into a single screwed up mass through the antiquated notion that the
only way to read mail is from a single client on a single machine through a
single stream.

    Now, you going to keep up or tell me I'm still stuck in 1985 like you are?