Re: [exim] Anti Phishing Trick

Author: Marilyn Davis
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Anti Phishing Trick
On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Fred Viles wrote:

> On 25 Aug 2005 at 9:17, Marilyn Davis wrote about
>     "Re: [exim] Anti Phishing Trick":

> | On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Fred Viles wrote:
> |
> | > On 24 Aug 2005 at 18:43, Marilyn Davis wrote about
> | >     "Re: [exim] Anti Phishing Trick":
> | >
> | > For mail that hasn't been spam filtered?  No, I don't.
> |
> | Is it expected that a spam filter stops a Joe Job?

> It might, but it is not expected to in general. Techniques to detect
> bogus DSNs are relevant. Why do you ask?

Well, we've had these conversations before, when talking about
challenge/response systems, and I keep thinking about them. I just
don't get it that collateral mail is so awful -- except when it's part
of a Joe Job, which I don't see a filter stopping.

Collateral mail seems to me to be a really useful feature of the email
system.

Maybe it would be good to accept it and develop some protocol to
recognize it and be sure it was generated by one of my users.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about DSNs. You don't
want spam to generate an auto-response, which bounces and then lands
in your user's mailboxes? Is that the only issue?

Collateral mail, unless it generates a DSN for me to detect and
blackhole, hits one of three targets:

1. Someone who wants it.

2. A spammer.

3. Poor Joe, which a filter can't help.