Re: [exim] Re: How to return error messages from local trans…

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: How to return error messages from local transports (LMTP)?
Philip Hazel <ph10@???> (Do 18 Aug 2005 10:19:54 CEST):
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
>
> > If I'm right, that it's general question? How to return errors from
> > transport? (Since it seems to apply to SMTP errors as well: The error
> > message bounced to the sender isn't really informative....)
>
> Sigh. Take a look at smtp_return_error_details. In the past, people
> objected to the level of detail that Exim was returning (possibly
> exposing internal information), so the default is now to send less.

Yep. If that option works as I want than it's exactly what I was
looking for. Thank you. (I tried to find several patterns in google
and specs, but w/o success....)

But --

even with no_smtp_return_error_details I see bounce messages like
(recipient of the original message is not local, we just have to
forward the mail to some other host)

      xxxxxxx@???
        SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<xxx@???>:
        host xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxxxxxxxx.xx [xxx.xx.x.xx]:
        550-Verification failed for <meine_bank@???>
        550-Previous (cached) callout verification failure
        550 sender address <meine_bank@???> can't be verifed

but on the other hand (local recipient of the original message (error
was triggered due to NUL chars on LMTP transfer to cyrus)

      xx@???
        (generated from xxxx@???)

While writing this: So does exim differentiate here between local
delivery errors (no details to sender) and remote delivery errors
(details to sender)?

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -