Re: [exim] mx selection (possibly off topic)

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] mx selection (possibly off topic)
On 8/17/05 4:17 PM, "Ruairi Hickey" <Ruairi.Hickey@???> wrote:

>      I'm having a problem with an email address that mail is being sent to...
> mx entry below.  Bind9 seems to return the addresses in random order and exim
> intermittently trys to send the email to the 99 weighted server
> 'mail-relay.it-tallaght.ie.' which is not configured to accept the mail (the
> other 2 are).

Exim would be expected to try the MXs in preference order, stopping upon
success. Your preference 10 MX record is invalid (IP on right side, not
name). Possibly that is upsetting Exim...possibly ns.itnet.ie is sometimes
not accepting connections.

You didn't say what version of Exim you are dealing with, and that wouldn't
have helped me, anyhow. Sometime in its history, Exim became less unwilling
to use the sort of invalid MX record you have at preference 10.

--John