Re: [exim] HArdware Suggestions for exim courier-imap

Author: Jaye Mathisen
To: Simon Chappell
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] HArdware Suggestions for exim courier-imap
Nothing wrong with your config, generally speaking more spindles are better.

We ran just a hair under 20k user with qmail and courier-imap/pop3 off a dual P3 box.

The key was RAM, fast RAID (stay away from RAID 5 if you can, stick with 10
if you can, and spread teh load out.

We used 3ware 12 port 8000 series RAID cards, the new 9000 cards are even faster.

SO get yourself a good 12 port 3U SATA enclosure, use the WD 10k drives, or
other good high-memory caching drives, create several different arrays to do
different parts (storage separate from queue separate from OS separate from database),
and go for it.

There are arguments for and against software vs hardware RAID. the 3ware RAID
is a no brainer, integrates into FreeBSD and linux, has an easy to use console management
tool, and for us, was rock solid.

Or get a good supermicro box with the adaptec ZCR raid.

Or get 2 lower-end boxes, and a good load balancing switch, an have some failover capability
as well.