Re: [exim] HArdware Suggestions for exim courier-imap

Author: Simon Chappell
To: Mike Meredith
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] HArdware Suggestions for exim courier-imap
Thanks to everyone for the help. It has been interesting getting
everones opinions as most of the information about "What to Buy" is
pretty non-existant.

The things I have noted is if the bean counters give us the go ahead for
a large lump of money then

Branded Server eg HP or even Sun if the budget allows
Dual Opteron or Dual Core 3Ghz+
4Gig ram
Ultra320 Raid Card
3x 145GB drives Raid5  Maildirs
2x 80GB drives Raid1    OS

IF not and we have to go cheaper (More likely in the real world)

Whitebox
Dual Opteron or Dual Core 3Ghz+
4Gig ram
4XSATA 200GB Raid 0+1 Maildir
2xSATA 160GB Raid1 OS

Probably about 10 grand gap in between but at least I have a good
bearing and should end up somewhere in the gap in the middle.

That much processing power should cover us for the foreseeable future
including expansion and more users over the current 700.

Also adding the atime to the fstab may have bought us time to think (or
time to put of until it becomes a problem again) and run some tests of
our own to help us make the right choice.

Thanks Again

Simon