Re: [exim] Help with problem with bad bcc addess

Autor: Cliff Pratt
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Help with problem with bad bcc addess
On 8/11/05, Cliff Pratt <enkiduonthenet@???> wrote:
> On 8/11/05, Tony Finch <dot@???> wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Cliff Pratt wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, I did say what software (Debian package exim4 version 4.50-8) but
> > > it was right at the front of the message.
> >
> > On all the machines? What about the "application"?
> >
> Yes, on all machines. The application is a Java application that sends
> mail through another manchine. More clearly, the Java app on Machine A
> sends the mail to Machine B via SMTP. Machine B has a smarthost of
> Machines C, which has a smarthost of the Exchange server D. This
> obviously not ideal, but I have limited ability to change this at the
> present time.
> >
> > > I'd post debugging output but I didn't think that this was that sort
> > > of a problem. I've just trying to get my head around why an attempt to
> > > relay a message with an invalid address in the bcc that it appears to
> > > fail *all* recipients. I suspect that the answer lies in my (lack of)
> > > understanding of exim4 and smtp relaying via smarthost versus 'direct'
> > > delivery via the Internet rather than anything deeper. If I knew a bit
> > > more, I think that it would be obvious <grin>.
> >
> > Perhaps you are misinterpreting the log lines that you didn't post
> > because you thought they were uninformative.
> >
> I'd say that that was a distinct possibility. 8-). I don't have time
> to return to the problem right now, but in due course I'll post them
> here.

The solution was in the log lines. The sending system was running in a
chroot (which I omitted to mention. Duh!) In the log lines on the
mail host the IP address of the traffic from the sender was shown as
the base system's IP address and not the chrooted environment's IP
address, and the mail system was not set up to relay for the base
system.

Cheers,

Cliff