Re: [exim] Help with problem with bad bcc addess

Autor: Cliff Pratt
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Help with problem with bad bcc addess
On 8/11/05, Tony Finch <dot@???> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Cliff Pratt wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I did say what software (Debian package exim4 version 4.50-8) but
> > it was right at the front of the message.
>
> On all the machines? What about the "application"?

Yes, on all machines. The application is a Java application that sends
mail through another manchine. More clearly, the Java app on Machine A
sends the mail to Machine B via SMTP. Machine B has a smarthost of
Machines C, which has a smarthost of the Exchange server D. This
obviously not ideal, but I have limited ability to change this at the
present time.

> > I'd post debugging output but I didn't think that this was that sort
> > of a problem. I've just trying to get my head around why an attempt to
> > relay a message with an invalid address in the bcc that it appears to
> > fail *all* recipients. I suspect that the answer lies in my (lack of)
> > understanding of exim4 and smtp relaying via smarthost versus 'direct'
> > delivery via the Internet rather than anything deeper. If I knew a bit
> > more, I think that it would be obvious <grin>.
>
> Perhaps you are misinterpreting the log lines that you didn't post
> because you thought they were uninformative.

I'd say that that was a distinct possibility. 8-). I don't have time
to return to the problem right now, but in due course I'll post them
here.

Cheers,

Cliff