Re: [exim] Exim4: Turning off greylisting

Author: Marc Sherman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim4: Turning off greylisting
Ted Cooper wrote:

> Anyway, your logs point to a DNS issue, not graylisting. Some of the
> sites might be doing it but it really looks like your mail server
> just can't resolve anything and as a result, can't verify recipients
> and can't accept mail! You also can't find a really easy one like
> gmail.com. You have one successful mail so I would say it's an
> intermittent problem with DNS so it's going to be really fun to find
> too.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing.

Joseph sent me his config file to me privately, and it looks like a
pretty much unmodified Debian config, with one glaringly broken exception:

hostlist relay_from_hosts = 127.0.0.1 : ::::1 : propheticvision.com :
thinklog.com : *.dynamic.covad.net : *.client2.attbi.com :
*.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net : *.hsd1.ca.comcast.net : 66.229.157.26

You're acting as an open relay for all sorts of broadband dynamic IP
ranges. That's a lot of spam you'll be relaying. If you need to relay
for known senders in those dynamic ranges, you should use authentication
instead.

- Marc