Re: [exim] Adding IMAP SMTP Authentication to the Wiki

Author: V. T. Mueller
To: lannygodsey
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Adding IMAP SMTP Authentication to the Wiki

Hello Lanny,

Lanny Jason Godsey schrieb:
> --- "V. T. Mueller" <exim@???> wrote:
>>Hm, I don't know. Actually we are scratching our heads from time to
>>time for how we can optimize our SQL-calls and overall architecture
>>even further. I can't imagine the hardware that would allow us
>>authentication via embedded perl.
> What sort of load do you have? Our radius server is written in perl
> and processes around 70 auths / second and just over 100 accounting
> requests / second. Radius lives on 2 machines currently, both cheap
> dell 400SC machines w/ 1gig ram.

Probably I misleadingly draw a connection from the
Mailscanner-driven perl processes I see on some machines to the
usage you are actually talking about. Those contribute to a decent
utilization of ressources, but I admit their job is totally different.

> I use embedded perl for nearly everything in Exim, the ACLs (for the
> most part, I've replaced Exim's hints anywhere I can) since I wanted
> distributed control over message rejection.

Sounds interesting.

> Our MySQL backends have no problem satisfying 2k queries / second.
> This is why I'm a little suprised when people say Perl (espically
> embedded perl) isn't up to the task.

Hm, this looks like you know what you're talking about. I once found
out that perl is too heavy for the job, but that was perl 4.x, a
different task and of course no embedded perl. So I should probably
better keep my prejudices in the future if not throwing them away ;)

Cheers,
vt