[exim] Exim not honouring rewrite request

Author: Jonathan Sambrook
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Exim not honouring rewrite request
Jonathan Sambrook wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having difficulty getting Exim to rewrite headers containing address
> phrases in the incorrect (unquoted) form:
>
> me@??? <me@mydomain>
>
> to correct form:
>
> "me@???" <me@???>
>

> [Yes, I know, the sending processes shouldn't be sending badly formatted
> addresses, but our clients are used to our previous Sendmail setup just
> working.]
>

> It seems Exim is balking at the first @ sign in the address phrase.
>
> Running with '-d-all+rewite' shows that even a simple rewrite rule

such as:

> * $0 fw
>
> doesn't bite when there is an unquoted address phrase containing an @.

[or even with consistent less grepable, more readable tidying...]

Some output to demonstrate might help clarify my problem. Is this a bug?

With my test phrase as 'AB' a simple rule which is triggered by
anything produces:

8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
rewrite_one_header: type=F:
from: AB <pm@???>