Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP direct…

Author: Fred Viles
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP directly?
On 2 Aug 2005 at 16:31, John W. Baxter wrote about
    "Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authent":

| Since it appears there can be more than one IMAP server involved, design of
| the authenticator configuration for Exim could be tricky.

FWIW, I think it would suffice to make the server name an expanded
string. And if the IMAP login attempt is triggered by a new
expansion item or query-style lookup type (rather than a new
authenticator option), it would be possible to check multiple
servers.

| I don't recall any clients which speak only CRAM-MD5...

When SMTP AUTH support was first added to Pegasus Mail, it only
supported CRAM-MD5. After one or two releases, LOGIN was added. It
was several more releases before PLAIN was added. So there may be
some installations out there that would be a problem, but all recent
releases have supported all three methods.

- Fred