Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP direct…

Author: Fred Viles
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP directly?
On 2 Aug 2005 at 12:49, Marc Perkel wrote about
    "Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authent":

| In addition I would like to provide SMTP services to these remote users
| by using Dovecot to proxy to these remote servers for authentication.

These are your paying customers, right? What advantage do you see to
this, as opposed to them authenticating with the account credentials
they must already have on your system?

| will be using plain text passwords over SSL to do this - so it is
| secure. But - there's no backend database that Exim can query.

You and your users may not care, but ISTM likely they will be
violating their TOS with the thier other service by disclosing thier
account names and passwords to you.

| I am currently using SASL to talk to IMAP for exim. It works. I'm just
| suggesting that I'd like to eliminate the middleware and let Exim do
| what SASL is doing with the rimap option.

So go ahead and do it. Nobody is stopping you, you even got some
pointers where to start. That's the beauty of open source software.

- Fred