Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP direct…

Author: Marc Perkel
To: 'Exim-users'
Subject: Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP directly?
One of the things I'm trying to do is this:

I have a service acting as a front end span filtering server for other
domains that I have no access to except for publicly exposed protocols.
I have a squirrelmail system that authenticates and talks to IMAP. I
have created modules that allow users on my server to create custom
black lists and white lists. These lists are read by the Exim MTA from
the squirrelmail directories and processed by Exim.

But - for those who I front end filter for - I can't provide this
service - yet.

I'm now experimenting with expanding my squirrelmail front end to
authenticate against remote servers. One way of doing this is to user
Dovecot as a proxy front end, allowing it to relay IMAP to a remote
server and act as if it is local. This will allow remote users to log
into my squirrelmail front end and set of lists that control individual
email account spam processing on remote servers that I front end for.

In addition I would like to provide SMTP services to these remote users
by using Dovecot to proxy to these remote servers for authentication. I
will be using plain text passwords over SSL to do this - so it is
secure. But - there's no backend database that Exim can query.

I am currently using SASL to talk to IMAP for exim. It works. I'm just
suggesting that I'd like to eliminate the middleware and let Exim do
what SASL is doing with the rimap option.