Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP direct…

Autor: Jakob Hirsch
A: 'Exim-users'
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP directly?
Marc Perkel wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something about why this won't work but it seems to me
> like it would be a good feature.

I don't really see the benefit. You can use a common database for this
in most installations. MySQL/xySQL, LDAP, plain text files etc., choose
one you want. Since Exim supports SASL, you can use many more methods,
that's what SALS is about - providing a single interface for authentication.
Authentication over IMAP sounds rather clumsy and inefficient to me.
Where does your IMAP server have its userdata? Exim can probably access
it directly.
There is even a patch to access your dovecot's auth socket directly, btw
(don't know why Phil did not integrate it, maybe it's too special).