Re: [exim] sending side ignores temp. error from message_siz…

Author: V. T. Mueller
To: 'Exim-users'
Subject: Re: [exim] sending side ignores temp. error from message_size_limit

Hello Tom,

Tom Kistner schrieb:
> V. T. Mueller wrote:
>> message-size_limit. Ok, this happens quite often. The problem today is
>> that the remote mailer appears to ignore the temporary error it is
>> given by exim. It just starts over. Infinitely.
> You mean it ignores the non-temporary error (5xx), right?

I have no idea right now what kind of error code was returned back
(in the meantime we called them and lifted the limit). All I could
find in the book (13.3.1) relating to message_size_limit makes me
think that it's a temporary error.

From what I saw, the remote side just clinged to the same local
exim process here, so that's definitely not the way dealing with
temporary errors is intended ;)

I took a look at the mail later after it had arrived. It was MS
outlook through some firewall. I don't know if the latter relayed or
just NATted.

Cheers,
vt

P.S.: I just browsed the online docs to find out that the response
to incoming messages exceeding message_size_limit is a 552. So their
mail setup is definitely broken. *sigh*