[exim] sending side ignores temp. error from message_size_li…

Author: V. T. Mueller
To: 'Exim-users'
Subject: [exim] sending side ignores temp. error from message_size_limit

Hello,

Today I see a constantly incoming stream of about 2Mbit/s SMTP
traffic from one source. A look into exim's log revealed that
someone is trying to send a message that is actually larger than
what we have defined in message-size_limit. Ok, this happens quite
often. The problem today is that the remote mailer appears to ignore
the temporary error it is given by exim. It just starts over.
Infinitely.

Is there anything that can be done in addition or alternatively to
blocking the remote user? Is there a way to enforce that "size" is
advertised before data is actually sent? I see little sense in
accpting 28MB just to throw them away, telling that there was a
limit hit at 12MB.

TIA,
vt

2005-07-28 10:22:15 1Dy3cb-000ECN-00 rejected from
<aaaaaaaa.aaaaaaa@???> H=aaaa.aaaaaaaaaa.aa
[888.888.888.888]: message too big: read=28215002 max=12582912