[exim] Problem blocking IP addresses from file lookups

Autor: Herb Martin
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Problem blocking IP addresses from file lookups
[Related to but different from my previous message
on a similar subject]

The following Exim 4.52 configuration snippet appears
in the RCPT acl (I have tried it with and without the
!authenticated constraint which should not matter to
the overall correctness of the control list):

deny        message = IP $host_data Blacklisted
     !authenticated = *
              hosts = lsearch;/etc/exim.acl

I have tried using each of these formats for the file:
[format attempt #1: just the IP values]
82.233.203.32
72.26.223.6
68.184.113.146

[format #2: the values with themselves as lookup values]
82.233.203.32 : 82.233.203.32
72.26.223.6 : 72.26.223.6
68.184.113.146 : 68.184.113.146

Currently there are no hits in my exim_reject.log for the
given "message" (Blacklisted) even though it has run for
some time, and my simple tests have not been able to cause
a hit. (Exim has been restarted.)

FYI: I am blocking on the RCPT to give the impression that
the user doesn't exist if the sender is just a robot.

My real goal is to test an existing file (for another email
system) in THIS format:

1 82.233.203.32
1 72.26.223.6
1 68.184.113.146

That is, I wish to search a different file with the above
format and DENY if the IP of the connecting host is found
on a line beginning with a 1 followed by a space.

--
Herb Martin