Re: [exim] MessageLabs 554 SMTP synchronisation error

Author: Renaud Allard
To: exim-users
CC: Mark
Subject: Re: [exim] MessageLabs 554 SMTP synchronisation error
What I actually do is setting a very short timeout of 1 sec:
rfc1413_hosts = *
rfc1413_query_timeout = 1s

This is not too much of a burden to wait as low as 1 sec and can help rejecting some squid/cacheflow based spams.

my acl looks like this:

drop
condition       = ${if eq{$sender_ident}{CacheFlow Server}{1}{0}}
message         = Rejected - appears to be an unsecured proxy: $sender_ident

It may not be worth doing it considering the few amount spam I catch this way, but I prefer not having to scan the mail with spamassassin when I can afford detecting it earlier. Ident only wastes a network socket for one second while spamassassin does waste much more. And as some of my other antispam techniques rely on delaying mails if they meet some criterias, that's really not much of a burden to have it wait 1 more second.

--
Nikademus
http://www.octools.com

.O.