Re: [exim-dev] BIND_8_COMPAT & namesr_compat.h on OSX 10.4.1

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: OpenMacNews
CC: exim-dev
Assumpte: Re: [exim-dev] BIND_8_COMPAT & namesr_compat.h on OSX 10.4.1
On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, OpenMacNews wrote:

> hi philip,
>
> per a post
> (<http://lists.apple.com/archives/Unix-porting/2004/Nov/msg00030.html>) by
> Jordan Hubbard (Engineering Manager, BSD technology group, Apple Computer) on
> apple's unix-porting list re: BIND_8_COMPAT utilization ...
>
>    "It would be better if you ported this software to the BIND9 APIs anyway
>    (or found someone able to do this for you). We're going to retire the BIND8
>    compatibility APIs in the not-at-all-distant future and the BIND_8_COMPAT
>    hack was a solution which was only destined to work for a release or two.
>    Its days are numbered."

> it may, hence, be worthwhile to _avoid_ the BIND_8_COMPAT flag altogether ...

I am sure there are many, many sites round the world that are still
running Bind 8. It takes a long time for obsolete software to go away
(just take a look at Exim 3 for a start). So the necessary work would
not only be to move Exim to the Bind 9 API, but also to implement a
backwards compatibiity feature for Bind 8. This is unlikely to be done
in a hurry.