Re: [exim] Re: exim and multiple Mailbox-Server

Author: Michael Haardt
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: exim and multiple Mailbox-Server
On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 12:04:58PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> I have only experience with courier-mta(-ssl) but not exim.
> There was someone which told me, that it does not work with
> courier-mta and I should use exim4 for it.

I don't know anything about courier-mta at all. In case it is not
flexible enough, Exim 4 certainly is.

> I hav eread the exim4 docu but do not know, how to setup
> such system (e.g. maping)

Someone else already gave some example code. There is an excellent Exim
cookbook with explained sample configurations for all kinds of things
to get the feel how to solve problems with Exim. I only skimmed the
latest Exim book, but if the reference manual does not suffice, the book
is likely to be very helpful.

Either way, I strongly suggest to install the HTML documentation.
If I had to name the best thing in Exim, that's it.

> What I need is a Flow-Diagram to imagine what happen between
>
>     mx.freenet.de       mout.freenet.de        mboxXX.freenet.de
>     mxX.freenet.de      moutX.freenet.de

> And I asume that <mx.freenet.de> is the Proxy.

I already described the basic flow. I am afraid that if you need more
detailed descriptions in order to build a similar system, you will not
be able to run it on your own, either. Perhaps set up Linux vserver,
xen or vmware to play with a small cluster without actually having to
buy the hardware.

Note that there are various approaches if a central single-node system
does not suffice. Apart from the common one with a central proxy/message
router, mail storage and outgoing queue, some people use SANs or NFS and
others use Cyrus and LMTP for mail storage. It's a not a question of
"better" but of "fits the need". For example, you could build a few
nodes each performing each function, passing mail to neighbours if
needed, and always running POP/IMAP by proxy. I think a setup like
that was described on the list for a system in the UK some months ago,
where nodes were distributed to a few large towns. Perhaps it even
left the proxy away, forcing users to direcly connect to their local
node.

Michael