[exim] Re: exim and multiple Mailbox-Server

Autor: Michelle Konzack
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Re: exim and multiple Mailbox-Server
Hello Michael,

Am 2005-07-06 11:37:57, schrieb Michael Haardt:

> My setup is pretty easy really. I map each mailbox to a specific mbox
> server, forwarding mails to it, and proxying POP/IMAP there. The approach

This is what I do not know how.

I have only experience with courier-mta(-ssl) but not exim.
There was someone which told me, that it does not work with
courier-mta and I should use exim4 for it.

I hav eread the exim4 docu but do not know, how to setup
such system (e.g. maping)

Can you suggest an POP/IMAP proxy ?

> is popular enough that a number German providers works that way. As can
> be seen from headers, the third important block is mout.freenet.de to
> hold the queue of outgoing mails.

Yes, I have already seen it.

> If you want to save a little latency, I guess you could build such a
> setup for each country, but I doubt it is worth it. My parents use cell
> phones with local providers and satellite phone otherwise for accessing
> their mail from all around the world and latency is not their major
> problem, but bandwidth of their local connection is (for mail, web is
> a different issue).

This is, why I setup the different Mailboxes.

My enterprise will be in Marrakech/Morocco,
where internet Access is really expensive.

I do not like to route the whole Mail-Traffic over
an E3 for 41.000 Euro/month. (7.000 Euro for an E1).

> About, because there are different mbox servers with different storage
> capacities. But you got the dimensions right. A distributed approach
> means being able to use storage hardware as long as you can keep
> it working. You save on hardware, but pay on administering a more
> complicated setup.

Right, but using several locations give me more security
and will reduce the traffic per country.

> All you need is a router that gets active on mailbox addresses and a
> transport that uses "gethostbyname", "max_rcpt = 1" and "hosts" set to
> the storage server for the address, obtained by a lookup on the address,
> as well as a POP/IMAP proxy server. In theory, because the devil is in
> the details, and there are lots of them.

And this is what I do not know how to install.

What I need is a Flow-Diagram to imagine what happen between

    mx.freenet.de       mount.freenet.de        mboxXX.freenet.de
    mxX.freenet.de      mountX.freenet.de

And I asume that <mx.freenet.de> is the Proxy.

> Michael

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi