RE: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are ref…

Author: Exim User's Mailing List
To: Rick Cooper
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: RE: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are refusing bounces...
[ On Thursday, June 30, 2005 at 16:54:16 (-0500), Rick Cooper wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are refusing bounces...
>
> I specifically stated I do not dump valid
> mails from null.

Hmmm.... I have to assume that when you said "The use of null,
mailer_daemon, etc in the checks for virus bounces is to make sure that
mails arriving from an individual concerned with someone sending them a
virus are not dropped offhand.", you meant you were using the null
sender address to block unwanted bounces and the non-null, valid, sender
address to accept valid messages.

If that's not what you meant then you are not accurately and clearly
describing what you do. Try writing it in pseudo-code.

> Ok a bounce arrives to an account that receives mail but never sends it. I
> *do* *not* *want* to mess with a bounce that is obviously in error, or
> malicious in nature.
>
> Now give me an example of how one goes about determining it's junk and
> discarding it.

Oh, come on now. Give a dog a bone! How am I to give an example of
defending against something you won't show me? I'm not clairvoiant. I
can't see through brick walls.

If _you_ look at a bounce and know from looking that it is junk, then go
over your own thought processes and determine how you decided it was
junk. Then translate those processes into an algorithm that will
accurately identify the junk as junk, but be careful not to mis-identify
anything which is not junk (.e. take a look at some similar non-junk
messages and see if you can figure out why you think they're not junk).

There you go. That's all there is to it. This isn't rocket science. :-)

--
                        Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@???>