[exim] Re: [exim-dev] New ratelimit in 4.52

Author: Sam Michaels
To: exim-users
CC: Tony Finch, exim-dev
Subject: [exim] Re: [exim-dev] New ratelimit in 4.52
On 6/28/05, Tony Finch <dot@???> wrote:
> Questions about how to configure Exim are not appropriate for -dev
> so I am redirecting this to the -users list.

I wanted to more or less discuss it's functionality because I didn't
find what I wanted it to do within the docs.

> Exim's ACLs don't make this kind of thing particularly easy because they
> are mostly straight line code, so if you want to write an ACL with a
> structure like "if condition then complicated thing else other complicated
> thing" you have to fiddle a bit. This partly explains the accept/endpass
> feature, which allows a limited two-branch conditional.

What I want to do is not complicated...but with the current
implementation it seems impossible.

1) Check in the connect ACL to see if the key (the sender_host_address
in my case) is above its limit WITHOUT incrementing the counter.
2) Add a ratelimit to my deny/drop/whatever ACLs so that the counter
is incremented...no action will be taken based on the ratelimit
setting (similar to how message, logwrite, etc operate).

> It might be worth adding a read-only string expansion for looking up a
> client's rate, for doing more complicated things like denying connections,
> but I don't have time for that at the moment.

That kind of setup would have made more sense to me.

Sam