Re: [exim] RFC requirements - quota, max msg size on abuse/p…

Autor: Peter Velan
A: Exim Users Mailing List
Assumpte: Re: [exim] RFC requirements - quota, max msg size on abuse/postmaster account
am 28.06.05 13:16 schrieb Richard Clayton:

> In message <42C122F4.4050406@???>, Peter Velan
> <pv0001@???> writes
>
>>is it ok to define a max msg size of 2 MB for the role accounts
>>postmaster and abuse?
>
> until someone sends you a bigger complaint, yes; thereafter no
>
> why not buy a bigger disk ? those 20MB drives should be retired

You're right, disk space is cheap, but tonight we received a "small"
.doc crap (0,8MB) to a "normal" user account ... but not once, no, the
wild running script on the other side send it about 2000 times,
totalling 1.6GB!

I took a closer look to my quota and max msg size setting and asked
myself: could this happen to a role account (abuse/postmaster), too?
Sure it could!

>>Should I define a lower, a higher or no limit at all?
>
> process the email in a timely fashion and you will not hit limits

My question was about "max msg size", not quota.

>>What about quota for role accounts?
>
> bouncing complaints with a message that abuse@ is over quota is a sure-
> fire way of being put into blacklists.... don't do it!

Despite the fact that I have not received any abuse complaint so far, I
just want to prevent excessive transfer volumina.

Peter

-> Richard:
Sorry for sending my answer directly to you and not the list :-(