Re: [exim] Access to $value from lookups

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [exim] Access to $value from lookups
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Peter Velan wrote:
>
> > I heard some rumors about SMTP-servers having problems with multiline
> > 5xx-messages and I want to be on the safe side of the game.
>
> Such servers are hopelessly broken, if they exist.

They certainly exist. I was sent a problem report last week which
allegedly contained our response to their mail offer. In this
particular situation, we emit a single long line, which exim
apparently breaks after the word "Please".

  deny message = "This email scored $spam_score spam points \
                ${if >{$ACL_BLACKLIST}{0}{(+$ACL_BLACKLIST leak) }{}}\
                and was rejected. Please contact \
                postmaster@??? if this is a mistake.

The remote MTA told its user that we'd responded as follows:

scored 0.0 spam points (+90 leak) and was rejected. Please>

Consequently the invitation to contact our postmaster for assistance
had been suppressed.

> The specification for multiline responses has been around for over
> 20 years.

A certain dominant vendor does not read interworking specifications,
that's only too clear.