Re: [exim] Retry times

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Steve Sargent
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry times
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Steve Sargent wrote:

> Retry rule: imap.qmul.ac.uk * F,1h,5m; F,2h,15m; G,16h,2h,1.5; F,4d,8h;

> Route: hcw295@??? error 0: SMTP error from remote mailer after
> RCPT TO:<hcw295@???>: host localhost.qmul.ac.uk [127.0.0.1]: 452
> 4.2.2 Over quota
> first failed: 20-Jun-2005 16:04:20
> last tried: 23-Jun-2005 13:01:24
> next try at: 23-Jun-2005 21:01:24

So it hasn't hit four days yet. Therefore it won't time out yet. That is
a routing retry record. So it shouldn't try routing again till the next
try time.

> > exim -d -M <an id for a stuck message>

> Considering: hcw295@???
> unique = hcw295@???
> dbfn_read: key=R:imap.qmul.ac.uk
> dbfn_read: key=R:hcw295@???
> no domain retry record
> hcw295@???: queued for routing

It does NOT say "no address retry record", which means that it did find
the retry record.

> routing hcw295@???

Did you run this after 23-Jun-2005 21:01:24? If not (and I suspect not),
it shouldn't have gone on to the routing... OH, SILLY ME. IDIOT. What I
should have told you to do was

exim -d -Mc <an id for a stuck message>

The -Mc is vital. With just -M, it ignores delays and proceeds anyway.
With -Mc, it respects retry times. So the -M is forcing it to proceed.

> added retry item for R:hcw295@???: errno=0 65 flags=0

... and updates the retry information.

But in any case, as it isn't 4 days from the first failure, it would not
have bounced the message.