[exim] Use of whitelist and blacklist RBL's

Author: John Horne
To: Exim users
Subject: [exim] Use of whitelist and blacklist RBL's
Hello,

I'm using a DNSBL as a whitelist and others as a blacklist. Due to
certain site requirements and the way exim is configured, the blacklist
RBL is looked up first but not acted upon at that time. An ACL variable
is set to say that the host is RBL listed. Later the whitelist RBL is
looked up but not acted upon at that time. Then, later, the ACL variable
is checked to see if the host was blacklisted and if so the message is
denied.

The problem is that the variables, $dnslist_domain, $dnslist_value and
$dnslist_text all get 'overwritten' by the whitelist look up. As such
when the message is denied our local log message contains the wrong
DNSBL, the whitelist one, rather than the blacklist one.

Rearranging the exim configuration doesn't seem possible. So I'm
wondering if there is any way for 'dnslists' not to set the variables -
a wishlist item for a dnslists option?

A way around it is to perform the DNS lookup using dnsdb rather than
'dnslists', but that seems to defeat the object (simplicity) of using
'dnslists'. Alternatively I could set 3 acl variables to store
$dnslist_domain etc, but again that seems a bit of a cludge when the
($dnslist_xxx) variables are already there - and I see no way of setting
the $dnslist variables myself.

Thanks,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839