Re: [exim] Re: using rfc-ignorant as a whitelist!?!?!? (was:…

Author: Peter Bowyer
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: using rfc-ignorant as a whitelist!?!?!? (was: a large number of domains fronted by Exim are refusing bounces...)
On 20/06/05, Ian Eiloart <iane@???> wrote:

> --On 17 June 2005 15:40:20 -0400 "Greg A. Woods" <woods@???> wrote:
>
> > [ On Friday, June 17, 2005 at 14:05:21 (+0100), Ian Eiloart wrote: ]
> >> Subject: Re: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are
> >> refusing bounces...
> >>
> >> Part of the problem here is that some people are using
> >> rfc-ignoratant.org as a whitelist. So getting a listing there may be
> >> regarded as desirable!
> >
> > Hmmm.... I hadn't heard of that yet. I don't quite see how this helps
> > the ones who want to be listed either....
>
> Getting listed makes it more likely that your email will be accepted - if
> the sites using rfc-ignorant as a whitelist outweigh the sites using it as
> a blacklist. So, if I'm a site refusing null senders, and my mail is being
> refused because of that, then I can fix the problem (for some sites) by
> listing myself at rfc-ignorant!

The term 'whitelist' is probably wrong here- various people are using
dsn.rfc-ignorant.org to cut down on sender callouts because such
callouts are a waste of time if you know in advance that the answer
won't be indicative.

I doubt if anyone then accepts the address without further testing..
which is what a more conventional ue of the term 'whitelist' would
imply.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer