[exim] acl_c0 is not available as expansion item for message…

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] acl_c0 is not available as expansion item for message_size_limit
Hello,
when asked on how to best set host-specific limits for message size, I
suggested something like this as a workaround for wishlist (73) (${if
matchhost):[1]

message_size_limit = ${if eq{$acl_c0}{big}{15M}{1M}}

connect ACL:
------------------------
warn
hosts = ....
set acl_c0 = big

accept
------------------------

However this does not work at all because $acl_c0 is not set when
message_size_limit is expanded, although afaict from reading the
documentation it might work[2].

Have I found a bug, a documentation-issue or a wishlist request? ;-)

                cu andreas

[1] I know that as hotfix I could check message_size in the RCPT (for
SIZE=...) and DATA acls, but advertising the correct size for a host
in the response to ehlo would be a lot nicer.

[2] The strongest contradicting sentence is:
| They can be used to pass information between different ACLs, different
| invocations of the same ACL in the same SMTP connection, and between
| ACLs and the routers, transports, and filters that are used to deliver
| a message.

i.e. there is no reference to expanded global options.
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"
                                           http://downhill.aus.cc/