Re: [exim] Exim3+ TLS

Author: Christian Recktenwald
To: cslinx
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim3+ TLS
On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 03:20:02PM +0800, cslinx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've managed to setup Exim 3 successfully sometime ago but now I
> encounter the following errors when I tried to send an email to my
> account:
>
> <myaccount@???>:
> Remote host said: 550 5.0.0 <myaccount@???>... RCPT TO:
> <myaccount@???> Relaying not allowed - please use SMTP AUTH
> [RCPT_TO]

This means your provider wants you to authenticate using SMTP auth.
You need a login and password (perhaps identical to your indial data).

From the exim documentation:

[ http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.30/doc/html/spec_19.html#SEC554 ]

authenticate_hosts (smtp)

Type: host list
Default: unset

This option is available only when Exim is built to contain support for
at least one of the SMTP authentication mechanisms. It provides a list
of servers to which, provided they announce authentication support, Exim
will attempt to authenticate as a client when it connects. See chapter
35 for details.

> On a separate case but using the same mail server, I also encounter
> the following error when I try sending an email using Outlook (the
> same email is successful if I use Yahoo! Mail) :

> <myaccount@???>
>     (reason: 554 Security failure)

> ... while talking to mail.tunbridge.com.sg.:
> <<< 454 OpenSSL/0.9.6beta currently unavailable
> <<< 554 Security failure
> 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

You can not send TLS Mail there because the remote side is misconfigured.
It announces STARTTLS but then it fails.
Please talk to tunbridge.com.sg about fixing this.

--
Christian Recktenwald      :                         :
citecs GmbH                : exim-users-dist@???