Re: [exim] Can't send to exim-users list because of rediculo…

Author: Richard Clayton
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Can't send to exim-users list because of rediculouslystrictRBL filter
In message <1118736681.29761.5.camel@???>, Nigel Metheringham
<Nigel.Metheringham@???> writes
>On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 20:49 -0500, cjackson wrote:

>> I do not know what that
>> reason is though. At first I thought it was spam, but spam has never
>> been a problem on this list.
>
>Now read that last paragraph and consider why this is the case.

many reasons .... so don't overload one of them :)

at bottom, the rules against dynamic IP addresses sending emails are
just a heuristic ... it is quite clear that a lot of spam and viruses
is sent from customer machines (entirely without their user's knowledge)
and almost all of those customers are on dynamic addresses. Ergo it is
an effective heuristic.

I doubt there's any evidence that it's a good heuristic [and my gut feel
would be that it would not be] for dynamic IPs that have DNS specially
set up for them (because this is an entirely different class of user).

However, since there's only a handful in this class no-one goes to the
effort of excluding them from their blanket blocking system.

The people on these rather second class systems learn that they're
discriminated against and move to static IP addresses which means that
the handful stays a handful... QED

There are always workarounds... it would even be on topic to mention the
Exim configuration settings for sending email for specific domains via
your ISP smarthost (relay MTA) :)

>You also don't see the few hundred messages per week that I and a couple
>of others moderate out before they hit the list distribution.

thank you !

- --
richard                                              Richard Clayton

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.         Benjamin Franklin