[exim] check_srv anyone?

Autor: John Horne
A: Exim users
Assumpte: [exim] check_srv anyone?
Hello,

Just wondered if anyone was using the dnslookup router option
'check_srv'? Is it worth using generally or only really for particular
situations?

In trying it out on one of our mailhubs I have already hit a problem
with 2 sites. I'm not sure but it seems that MS Windows servers uses
the, for example, '_tcp.plym.ac.uk' domain in dealing with ADS/accounts
(maybe?). Access to the domain may well be restricted only to local
users, i.e. no dns lookups allowed. As such check_srv gets a dns server
failure and sends a 4xx code back (as far as I can tell). This seems to
be the problem with the 2 sites we have, and I'm just wondering if using
check_srv is worth the hassle (to put it bluntly!)?

Thanks,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839