Re: [exim] Quota over 2GB supported?

Author: Exim User's Mailing List
To: Michael Haardt
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [exim] Quota over 2GB supported?
[ On Wednesday, June 8, 2005 at 15:31:56 (+0200), Michael Haardt wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [exim] Quota over 2GB supported?
>
> Indeed, C sucks when it comes to off_t and time_t. There is no way to
> express literals for those types, either. I don't know if C99 changes
> any of that.

You don't need C99 to make printf()'s portable for integer types that
might have different widths on different platforms -- only C89! :-)

... or at least support in the compiler for concatenating adjacent
strings.

C99 does make this easier by requiring standard macro definitions for
format specifiers, but you can still define your own:

in some application-specific portability header:

    #ifdef OFF_T_IS_LONG_LONG
    # define MY_OFF_T_FMT        "%lld"
    #endif
    #ifdef OFF_T_IS_LONG
    # define MY_OFF_T_FMT        "%ld"
    #endif

and then in the code:

    printf("off_t value is: " MY_OFF_T_FMT ".\n", (off_t) foo);

(BTW, ``Just say NO to operating systems with "LARGE FILE SUPPORT"!!!!''
What a stupid idea that was just to appease the bass-ackwards ABI
nutcases.)

--
                        Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@???>