Re: [exim-dev] Exim from mailnull by local "Auto-Submitted: …

Autor: Tony Marques
A: exim-dev
Assumpte: Re: [exim-dev] Exim from mailnull by local "Auto-Submitted: auto-generated" bounces keep bouncing
> i suspect the behaviour you are observing is coming from hosts that
> have ignore_bounce_errors set to anything not zero, and have

Well, an "ignore_bounce_errors" set true should be enough then...
there isn't a need for any cron jobs or anything to thaw as it would
never get frozen and retrying is normal.

So much for Exim "never" doing this, but this seems like it must me a
common misconfiguration.

> configuration issue (the word "error" was not used on purpose), and
> has nothing to do with exim, except for exim providing a(nother) rope
> one can hang thyself on, if one so wishes.
>
> nothing is wrong here.

On your server perhaps, but my limited experience here with Exim isn't
favorable. That is one exceptionally long rope and a lot of servers
seem to be hanging themselves.

I'm glad there isn't a "ignore_bounce_success" option -- that would be
equally as useful. After getting two dozen user unknown responses,
people everywhere would know never to mispell email addresses or send
messages to full mailboxes.

I hope people here will excuse me if I think Exim is stupid for having
such an option.