Re: [exim-dev] Output from -M

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Sam Michaels
CC: exim-dev
Assumpte: Re: [exim-dev] Output from -M
On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Sam Michaels wrote:

> This had me confused for a few minutes (on more than 1
> occasion)...using -Mrm will spit out "Message %s has been removed"
> after each message id is handled. Using -M will not...it sits there
> and pretends to hang while a delivery attempt is made for each message
> id. After many ctrl-c breaks, I had the genius idea to check the log
> file...lo and behold, it really was doing something after all.

Noted. I guess I rarely use -M without also -v or -d because I'm
interested in watching what is happening.

> Perhaps spitting out a result code from the child delivery process
> upon completion would be beneficial....and if any other command line
> options give hanging-like behavior as well, have those spit out
> results after each message id is processed.

At the lower levels, it doesn't know that the delivery was provoked by
-M. But you can watch what is going on with -v. All the other -Mx
options do at least seem to list the messages they are handling, so it
does make sense, I suppose, to output "delivering xxxxx" for each
message. Then if you want more you can use -v or -d.

Anyone else have an opinion?