RE: [exim] Message ID

Autor: Andrew Johnson
A: ppp2005, exim-users
CC:
Assumpte: RE: [exim] Message ID

It is unlikely that the same number would be generated from 2 machines given
that it's related to time and process ID's, however if you wish to be sure,
then you could use the localhost_number option (Sorry can't remember the
release number this came in at)

Spec.pdf ->

Exim’s message ids are normally unique only within the local host. If
uniqueness among a set of
hosts is required, each host must set a different value for the
localhost_number option. The string
is expanded immediately after reading the configuration file (so that a
number can be computed
from the host name, for example) and the result of the expansion must be a
number in the range
0– 16 (or 0–10 on operating systems with case-insensitive file systems).
This is available in
subsequent string expansions via the variable $localhost_number. When
localhost_number is set,
the final two characters of the message id, instead of just being a
fractional part of the time, are
computed from the time and the local host number as described in section
3.4.

-Andy-