Re: [exim-dev] Talking point - websites, wikis and documenta…

Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: Sam Michaels
CC: exim-dev
Assumpte: Re: [exim-dev] Talking point - websites, wikis and documentation
On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 00:25 -0400, Sam Michaels wrote:
> PHP has amazing documentation and a great comment system. A clone of
> that setup would serve all the purposes...provide a quick and easy way
> to reach configuration directives, search through various concepts,
> and provide fellow exim user advice. The spec PDF that ph10 created
> of the docs was REALLY good...that'd be a wonderful alternative to the
> online setup, especially for people who like to have docs in printed
> form (not that any of us would print out the docs for every update
> using company resources or anything...muahaha).

What format does the PHP documentation start in? Starting a new doc
format where we cannot import the current set relatively directly is
going to be a non-starter. We could, in theory, make some mods to the
generation process - especially as Philip is currently playing with
that. I guess adding an end pass to PHP wrap the HTML might also be a
possibility.

Documentation with comments could be (very) useful. The PHP stuff does
do the navigation reasonably well - much better than the current test
HTML doc output, and the existing frames HTML is good for overall
indexing but lousy for local navigation.

> I know mirrors are a concern, but a mirror concept is quite easy...we
> just dump the database and the mirrors will grab that with each rsync
> of the directory tree (dumps every 6 hours? 12? 24?). A simple
> shell script can import the changes after it calls the rsync.

If any mirror admins can comment that would be useful.  However I have
the feeling that something that needs significant scripting to maintain
it will be either:-
      * dropped (ie we will just lose all the mirrors - is that a bad
        thing?)
      * continually out of date

    Nigel.