[exim] Exim 4.51, SA, error while creating mbox spool file

Autor: John Horne
A: Exim users
Assumpte: [exim] Exim 4.51, SA, error while creating mbox spool file
Hello,

Well I've just had to stop our recently upgraded mailhub because no mail
was getting through! :-) The server is running Exim 4.51 and
spamassassin 3.0.3 under Fedora core 3.

Our main.log was showing numerous errors of:

2005-06-03 12:20:13 1DeACL-0004Ao-Dr acl_smtp_mime: error while
creating mboxspool file, message temporarily rejected.

What I couldn't understand was why this suddenly started - literally
about 30 mins ago. The server had been running and sending/receiving
mail for the past few days. Looking at /var/spool/exim/scan showed it
had over 30,000 directories in it! These dated back to when the system
basically came on-line. It seemed that the errors were because the
directory was too big - there is bags of disk space available before
anyone asks! Next thought was that exim/SA wasn't deleting the
directories for some reason.

Exim runs under the id 'exim' with group 'exim', and SA runs by default
as root. As such if exim or SA creates the files/directories then bot
hshould be able to delete them. The permissions on /var/spool/exim are:

  drwxr-x---  6 exim   exim    4096 May 24 01:06 exim

and on the scan sub-directory are:

drwxr-x--- 7 exim exim 1134592 Jun 3 12:52 scan

I have stopped both exim and SA and emptied out the scan directory -
couldn't think of much else to do! However, restarting the services and
the scan directory is having directories left in it again.

Anyone any thoughts on this? I know from the archives that the 'creating
mbox...' error is usually associated with permissions but in this
instance I'm not sure how it can be.

Thanks,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839