Re: [exim] Message size checks on spam ACLs

Author: John Horne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Message size checks on spam ACLs
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, John Horne wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I too have been following this. What I find a little confusing
>> though is that the spamc man page states:
>>
>>   -s max_size
>>        Set the maximum message size which will be sent to spamd -- any
>>        bigger than this threshold and the message will be returned
>>        unpro-cessed (default: 250k).  If spamc gets handed a message
>>        bigger than this, it won’t be passed to spamd.

>> To that extent, reading the last line, it shouldn't really matter what
>> size the message is since spamc/spamd won't process it if it is larger
>> than the '-s' size.
>>

> If you're calling SA from exiscan or 4.5x's DATA acl, spamc doesn't
> come into play, so spamd (AFAIK) will take whatever you send it.

Ah, yes so it seems. In our config we use the DATA acl call to SA in most
cases, but in other detected cases we use a router/transport to call
spamc.

I have to admit though that from the spam that does come through most of
it seems to be very small - no where near our 200KB limit or the default
of 256KB. I guess an exim logging statement to log those messages over the
limit which would have been sent to SA could be used to see how often this
occurs (or rather 'occurred').

John.