Re: [exim] Message size checks on spam ACLs

Autor: John Horne
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Message size checks on spam ACLs
> There's been some discussion of late on the SpamAssassin mailing list
> about spamd memory usage skyrocketing for Exim users. The current
> thinking is that the persons reporting this problem are not checking
> (and thus limiting) the size of messages being sent to spamd. I noticed
> that the spam ACL examples in the 4.5 spec don't include (or even
> mention) size checks. Is it possible to get this added to avoid
> confusion?

Hello,

Yes, I too have been following this. What I find a little confusing though
is that the spamc man page states:

  -s max_size
       Set the maximum message size which will be sent to spamd -- any
       bigger than this threshold and the message will be returned
       unpro-cessed (default: 250k).  If spamc gets handed a message bigger
       than this, it won’t be passed to spamd.

To that extent, reading the last line, it shouldn't really matter what
size the message is since spamc/spamd won't process it if it is larger
than the '-s' size.

We use a lot of rule files (SARE, etc) and as far as I can tell this
causes spamd to run at about 60MB. I have seen it go over 100MB.

I have now included a check on the message size (< 200K) as suggested to
see if it makes any sort of difference. I have also included the
'--max-conn-per-child' option on spamd, setting this to 100 to see if it
helps.

We are running exim 4.51 and spamassassin 3.0.3-3.fc3 rpm.

John.