Re: [exim] tls-on-connect with cyrus_sasl

Author: Mark Edwards
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] tls-on-connect with cyrus_sasl
On Jun 1, 2005, at 5:30 PM, Tony Finch wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Mark Edwards wrote:
>>
>> I figured it out. I am currently in Stockholm, and the servers in
>> question
>> are in San Francisco. The ISP's here (I've tried two now) apparently
>> are
>> blocking outgoing port 25,
>
> This is why port 587 (instead of 25) is recommended for submission-mode
> SMTP (unless you're using software from Redmond).
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hutzler-spamops-04.txt

Right, but this wouldn't work for Outlook Express, because it will only
try 465 after failing on port 25 if it is configured to not use a
specific port. If you configure it for a specific port, it tries that
port, and gives up if it fails. Which means I need to give specific
information for broken old software, which is a PITA. Certainly not
exim's fault though.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

--
Mark Edwards