Re: [exim] manualroute and queueing

Author: Mark Edwards
To: Marc Sherman
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] manualroute and queueing
On May 30, 2005, at 2:27 PM, Marc Sherman wrote:

> Mark Edwards wrote:
>> The only thing I dislike about this is that it takes a long time for
>> the process to complete, which requires the client to sit and wait
>> for the whole process. Can someone suggest a way to have exim queue
>> mail for the smart router, and issue a bounce if some problem occurs?
>> As it is, it takes a minute or two for a client to send a mail,
>> which isn't really pleasant on the user's end.
>
> On an ACL condition that checks if mail is destined for the smart
> router, add:
>     control = queue_only

> The ACL where you current set "control = submission" for such messages
> is a good candidate.
>
> However, you might want to debug the underlying problem, too. It
> shouldn't take a minute or two for you to submit a message to your
> smarthost. Is there perhaps an ident timeout (or two?) in the
> process?

Sorry to repost, but I just want to get some feedback from the list on
my implementation of this, if possible.

I have an ACL like:

   accept  authenticated = *
         control = queue_only

I then run exim with:

exim -bd -q30s

So that messages are sent no later than 30 seconds from when they go on
the queue. I also set:

log_selector = -queue_run -delay_delivery

So that I don't have to look at thousands of queue and delay messages
in my logs.

Is this the best way to implement this scheme? Is it dangerous to run
the queue every 30 seconds?

Thanks!

--
Mark Edwards