Re: [exim] manualroute and queueing

Author: Mark Edwards
To: Marc Sherman
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] manualroute and queueing
On May 30, 2005, at 2:27 PM, Marc Sherman wrote:

> Mark Edwards wrote:
>> The only thing I dislike about this is that it takes a long time for
>> the process to complete, which requires the client to sit and wait
>> for the whole process. Can someone suggest a way to have exim queue
>> mail for the smart router, and issue a bounce if some problem occurs?
>> As it is, it takes a minute or two for a client to send a mail,
>> which isn't really pleasant on the user's end.
>
> On an ACL condition that checks if mail is destined for the smart
> router, add:
>     control = queue_only

> The ACL where you current set "control = submission" for such messages
> is a good candidate.
>
> However, you might want to debug the underlying problem, too. It
> shouldn't take a minute or two for you to submit a message to your
> smarthost. Is there perhaps an ident timeout (or two?) in the
> process?

Thanks for your solution. It works, but I had to set up an additional
queue run using -qi30s in order to process mail in a timely manner,
rather than waiting for the regular 30-minute queue run to occur.
Unfortunately, I also have to remove queue notifications from the
logging, or my logs fill up with queue notices every 30 seconds.

Not a big deal, I reckon, but perhaps this is a bad idea? Does
implementing this, with a -qi every 30 seconds, make sense?

In any case, I can't really explain why smart routing takes so long
sometimes. I don't think it is ident or DNS related. It doesn't
always take a long time, but sometimes does. Its as if the ISP's
server keeps me on the line until the mail actually gets delivered to
the destination server, which sometimes is fast and sometimes is slow
depending on the destination. If I could change that behavior I would
love to, but it seems to be a side effect of smart routing.

Thanks again!

--
Mark Edwards
mark@???