Re: [exim-dev] Exim documentation: new format: readers wante…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Exim documentation: new format: readers wanted
On Thu, 26 May 2005, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> I would also like these sections indented for those that can't see the
> colour easily (and for general neatness).

So would I, but I couldn't persuade it to do that. Maybe one day I will
learn how to coerce the toolchain into doing what I want.

> However I can also not see any real examples within the docs

That's because I didn't know what to generate when I did the original
automatic conversion, and only added in the one example afterwards.

> There may be some interesting search effects caused by the kerning of fi
> characters - for example in "configuration files" - it is represented as
> "configuration files". Now try searching for "config" in
> the pages given at the URL above.

Sigh. I guess I can take the kerning out of the HTML version. I have to
take it out of the PS/PDF versions at the moment, as the current tools
won't handle it - they don't print the right character. So we'll end up
with no versions doing kerning, until I find a way of sorting this.
Sigh (again).

> A way of handling indexing and navigation within the HTML document is
> going to be needed. The existing (hacked together originally, although
> Philip may have it neater now) system based on frames is very 90s and
> has problems with certain types of browsers (ones that do not do
> traditional display or are tiny in size), but it does give you a
> reasonable way of finding things. The new set is going to be far more
> painful to locate items within. Adding index links to the top of pages
> (already at bottom) would help a little.

All that stuff is done automatically. Nothing to do with me guv', and I
don't know how to tweak it, but perhaps it is possible.

> Some CSS or similar magic to allow easy tweaking of the output would be
> nice. Detaching the current style information may help here.

What kind of tweaking?