Re: [exim-dev] Exim documentation: new format: readers wante…

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Exim documentation: new format: readers wanted
For those interested, I put the main spec and filter spec HTML up at
    http://www.exim.org/test/spec.html/

[interesting directory name :-) ]

All my comments are related to the HTML version only - I have not looked
at the others

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 08:31 -0400, Marc Sherman wrote:
> - I like the beige boxes highlighting code examples. I think that's a
> genuine improvement over the current docs.

Yes - although on the particular LCD laptop panel I am using I actually
can't see the colour change unless I am way off normal viewing angle.
However than can be fixed with a minor CSS/style fix.
I would also like these sections indented for those that can't see the
colour easily (and for general neatness).

Similar comments apply for the literallayout tables - for example the
table at
http://www.exim.org/test/spec.html/ch09.html#id2557597

> - The doc doesn't have any changebars showing -- were you not able to
> get that working, or does this version of the doc just not have any new
> content tagged? If the latter, could you fake some just so we can see
> how it renders?

There is an example at
http://www.exim.org/test/spec.html/ch01.html

However I can also not see any real examples within the docs

There may be some interesting search effects caused by the kerning of fi
characters - for example in "configuration files" - it is represented as
"configuration files". Now try searching for "config" in
the pages given at the URL above.

A way of handling indexing and navigation within the HTML document is
going to be needed. The existing (hacked together originally, although
Philip may have it neater now) system based on frames is very 90s and
has problems with certain types of browsers (ones that do not do
traditional display or are tiny in size), but it does give you a
reasonable way of finding things. The new set is going to be far more
painful to locate items within. Adding index links to the top of pages
(already at bottom) would help a little.

Some CSS or similar magic to allow easy tweaking of the output would be
nice. Detaching the current style information may help here.

I'll look further later....

    Nigel.