[exim] Re: Debian Sarge/Exim4: Precedence of /etc/aliases?

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: Debian Sarge/Exim4: Precedence of /etc/aliases?
dev.random@??? wrote:
[ /etc/aliases seems to be ignored]
> On the box, I have run "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config", selecting:

[...]
> * General type of mail configuration: "internet site; mail
>     is sent and received directly using SMTP"
> * System mail name: "mydomain.com"

[...]
> * Other destinations for which mail is accepted: ""

[...]

> Basically, I want the box to deliver mail directly. I want all mail
> for local accounts to arrive at me@???.

> However, when I run "mail root" on the box, exim decides the mail is
> for "root@???", rather than me@??? (as I have
> specified in aliases).

> I suspect this has something to do with the precedence/priority of
> the aliases file?

> Any pointers would be appreciated.

[...]

Hello,
You've told exim to qualify addresses with "mydomain.com" (i.e. to
append @mydomain.com to addresses without domain) and additionally
you've told it to _not_ consider itself responsible for mydomain.com
(by not keeping it listed in "Other destinations for which mail is
accepted")

Exim receives mail for root, qualifies it to root@???, checks
where "mydomain.com" has to go, and upon realizing "not me" it happily
simply passes it on.

You could add mydomain.com to "Other destinations for which mail is
accepted" (in which case you will not be able to exchange with the
real mydomain.com), however I'd suggest using a name that does not
conflict with a real one for "System mail name:" and "Other
destinations for which mail is accepted:", e.g. myhost.invalid.
              cu andreas

fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"
                                           http://downhill.aus.cc/